Some while ago, when life was difficult, I came across the suggestion that at the end of each day you should think of six good things that have happened during the day. At first I found it really hard to come up with a list of six, but after a while it became easier. It's a habit I have kept up over the years and helps to keep me focussed on the positive side of life. It has clarified what sre, for me, the important things in life, what makes me happy and what I have to be thankful for. It's not the material things that make my list, but often it's aspects of the natural world - birds or flowers; chance conversations with strangers; time spent with family and friends.
So what made the list today?
1. Time spent in the garden in early morning solitude with that first cup of coffee.
2. A walk round the lakes with my daughter and her chocolate labrador, talking about the baby she (fingers crossed) is expecting. It's very early days but she deserves a problem free pregnancy and a healthy babe.
3. Meeting other dog walkers and exchanging news.
4. A rare, quiet, afternoon reading my book.
5. Watching Halcyon River Diaries on BBC1
6. A leisurely bath with delicious bath salts.